Longtime pharmacist and rancher, Alan D. King , passed away on December 17, 2013. He was born in Brownwood, Texas, on September 19, 1926. His parents were William D. (Bill) King and Mamie B. Cathey King. Maternal grandparents were E.J. Cathey and Mary Cathey of Ballinger, Texas, and paternal grandparents were Joseph L. King and Fannie King of Brownwood.
Alan (Al) King attended the Brownwood school system and graduated from Brownwood High School in 1944. Al married his childhood sweetheart Jimmie Frances Crenshaw on November 1, 1945, in Brownwood. Jimmie was the daughter of Frank W. and Wilma Crenshaw. Al and Frances had two children, Frank A.(deceased) and Frances Anne King Perry of Brookesmith, Texas.
Mr. King is survived by his daughter and son –in- law, Frances Ann King Perry and Randal L. Perry; three granddaughters, Rhonda Renee Perry West and husband David West, Stacy Michelle Perry Brummett and her husband Coy G. Brummett of Brookesmith, and Kelly Marie King of Houston; four great-grandchildren, Frank A. Stirman, Dakota W. Stirman, Mason G. Brummett, and Khloe Marae Brummett, all of Brookesmith; brother, Joe L. King of Ohio; two sisters, Mary Jane Mayes of Austin, and Fannie Joyce Baker of Abilene.
Al was a charter member of the Church of the Good Shepard of Brownwood and a 32nd Degree Mason.
Alan's first job was selling newspapers in downtown Brownwood and later delivering newspapers in 1938 & 1939. He was hired on as soda fountain help in 1940 at Coggin Avenue Drugs.
After graduating from high school, he was drafted into the Navy in 1944 becoming a hospital corpsman in San Diego , CA. From CA, he was stationed at a U.S. Naval Hospital in New Orleans and then to a U.S .Public Hospital in Ft. Worth Texas. Alan made one three day trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the Navy. He was discharged as a second class petty officer after serving 21 months in the Navy.
Alan entered the University of Texas College of Pharmacy in September of 1946 and returned to Brownwood as a licensed Pharmacist in 1949, at Coggin Avenue Drug. His father in-law, Frank W. Crenshaw, and he sold the drugstore in 1976. He then opened Woodland Heights Pharmacy on Nov. 1, 1976, for partners Bob Dunn and Butch Sheffield. That pharmacy was sold in June of 1991, with a name was change to Live Oak Pharmacy. After that Alan became a relief pharmacist for several pharmacies in Central Texas.