Jim Ames died Thursday, January 31, 2013 at home. Jim will be remembered as a loving husband, father, and a friend to all he met. He enjoyed all sports, golfing, softball, umpiring, and was an avid Pittsburgh Steelers Fan.
Jim was born April 18, 1926 in Newell, PA ,moved to Beallsville, PA at the age of 2, and then to McKeesport, PA at the age of 19. Before moving to Florida, Jim had numerous jobs that he was proud of. He was the caddy master before becoming the assistant golf pro at Shannopin Country Club outside of Pittsburgh. Jim reluctantly had to leave the golfing world to work in the steel mill at J&L Steel Corp to help support his siblings. He worked for Fairchild Aircraft, was a cab driver and was also a dance instructor for the Arthur Murray School of Dance in the 1950's, just to name a few.
After moving to Florida, Jim was a detective lieutenant for the Rockledge Police Department in the 1960's. From there he worked in security at Sears, transitioning to a top furniture salesman, eventually retiring after nearly 30 years with Sears. Jim umpired softball for 40 years for Brevard County and was eventually Umpire in Chief until his death. In retirement, Jim worked as a starter at Turtle Creek Golf Course. Jim was an active member of Rockledge United Methodist Church, and also attended Cocoa Presbyterian Church with his wife. He was a member of the Merritt Island Moose and the Elks.
Jim is survived by his wife Jean; his sons Mark "Duke" (Sandra), Brad (Tracy), Jimmy (Carole), and Jeff; one daughter Diane; 2 step-daughters Leslie (David), Chris (Pete); 10 grandchildren; 5 step-grandchildren; and 8 great-great grandchildren. Jim was preceded in death by his late wife Shirley; his mother, father, step-father, 3 brothers and 1 sister.
A service will be held Saturday, February 9th at 3pm at Rockledge United Methodist Church.
A special thanks to Hospice of Health First, Dr. Ruiz, Brenda (his hospice nurse), Dr. Snow, and Valerie.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Rockledge United Methodist Church or Cocoa Presbyterian Church.