Dr. John F. Walton, O.D., of Bloomington, graduated from earth school Saturday morning at his residence. Born March 25, 1951, in Bristol, England, he was the son of Rev. Hugh "Pete" Walton and Mary (London) Walton. He was a graduate of Connersville High School, class of 1969, and attended Rose-Hulman Institute in Terre Haute before transferring to Indiana University. He received his bachelor degree in Microbiology in 1974 and his Doctor of Optometry in 1978, both from Indiana University. He was a former adjunct professor of Optometry at IU. The majority of his years were spent in the Bloomington Walmart vision center as a Doctor of Optometry for 25 years.
He was affectionately called "Doc" or "Pops" to many in his life. He was an avid softball player in Bloomington since 1979, sponsoring and coaching many teams over the years. He gave instructions in archery and the long rifle, and had attained the rank of Eagle Scout. Doc was a die hard IU Basketball fan, during good years and bad. Above all else in his life, his greatest love was serving as "Poppi Daddo" to his three grandsons.
John is survived by his loving family: his wife, Kristie (Lake) Walton of Bloomington; his daughter and son-in-law, Amber and Luke Owings of Bloomington; his son and daughter-in-law, John Adam and Meghan Walton, of Indianapolis; his parents, Rev. Hugh and Mary Walton, of Indianapolis; one sister and her husband, Anne and Jerry Byerly of Indianapolis; one brother, Nick Walton of Memphis, TN; sister and brother-in-law, Karita and David Musgrave of Bloomington; along with his three grandsons, Hudson Owings, Everson Owings and Nolan Walton. He was preceded in death by his father and mother-in-law, Jim and Mary Lake, and brother and sister-in-law, J.D. and Barbara Lake.
There will be a Celebration of Life service on Sunday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the Deer Park Manor; 1500 E. Hillside Drive, Bloomington, Indiana 47401, where friends are encouraged to come and share their stories of remembrance of Doc.
The family suggests memorial contributions be given to the IU School of Optometry.