Melvin "Lee" Baldwin, 72, of Sequim, Washington, died of age-related causes on March 17, 2013 at Kindred Northgate Hospital in Seattle, WA.
Lee was born on August 24, 1940, in Birmingham, Alabama, the son of the late Melvin Dewey Baldwin and Cora Lee Jones (Baldwin).
Lee attended Ensley High School, Birmingham, AL. In Sept. 1957, Lee enlisted in the U.S. Navy and completed basic training at USNTC San Diego, CA, Dec. 1957. Lee enjoyed a 30 year career serving his country and retired with the rank of Command Master Chief.
His duty stations included:
• Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, WA – 12/57 to 12/58
• Naval Station Midway Island, Midway Island – 1/59 to 1/60
• STOCGRUPACRESFLT, Stockton, CA – 2/60 to 7/60
• VR-8 NAS Moffett Field, CA – 8/60 to 2/63
• USS Cimarron, Long Beach, CA – 4/63 to 5/64
• AFV "A" / ATR "A" Schools NATTC Memphis, TN - 6/64 to 4/65
• USS Enterprise (CV65) Norfolk, VA - 4/65 to 3/66
• Instructor / Student AVI "B" Memphis, TN – 4/66 to 12/70
• RVAH-3 Student Albany, GA FTC Norfolk, VA – 2/71 to 3/71
• USS Independence (CV62) Norfolk, VA – 4/71 to 7/74
• Basic Instructor School, Norfolk, VA – 7/74 to 8/74
• NAMTRADET 1014 (F-4 Phantom II) NAS Oceana, Va. Beach, VA – 8/74 to 8/77
• USS John F. Kennedy (CV67) Norfolk, VA – 8/77 to 7/80
• NAMTRADET 1007 (F-14 Tomcat) NAS Oceana, Va. Beach, VA – 7/80 to 10/83
• USS Coral Sea (CV43) Norfolk, VA – 10/83 to 10/84
• VP-31 (P3 Orion) Moffett Field, CA - 11/84 to 9/87
• Retired, 10/1/87
He ended his career with several awards including, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, US Navy Good Conduct Medal (7), National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal (3), Battle Efficiency Award (E),(2), Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm, Republic Of Vietnam Campaign Medal with Date Bar, US Navy Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist Badge, US Navy Enlisted Air Warfare Specialist Badge.
He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Helen L. Baldwin, also of Sequim, his sons, Les Baldwin and wife Karen Baldwin of San Jose, CA, Russell Baldwin and wife Angela Baldwin of Ione, CA, Randall Baldwin and wife Yvonne Baldwin of Saginaw, TX, Perry Baldwin and wife Monika Hofbauer-Baldwin of Orlando, FL, and his beloved eight grandchildren.
Visitation Wednesday March 27, 2013 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Sequim Valley Chapel, 108 W. Alder St. Sequim, WA.
Burial Thursday March 28, 2013, at 1:15 p.m. at Tahoma National Cemetery 18600 S.E. 240th St. Kent, WA.
Lee's family has requested flowers be sent to Sequim Valley Chapel, 108 W. Alder St. Sequim, WA. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his name to the Patriot Guard Riders, or your local no-kill animal shelter (for dogs only).