Robert Lewis Siefert of East Lansing, died at home on May 8, 2012 in East Lansing, Michigan. He was born on July 23, 1921 in Lansing, Michigan, to Lewis and Dorothy Siefert.
He served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II and was awarded a Purple Heart and a Silver Star Medal for bravery in battle on Tarawa. He attended the University of Michigan School of Architecture and joined Michigan State University as an architect in 1961. He was appointed University Architect in 1969 and also served as Director of Facilities and Space Management. He was a Director of the Michigan Society of Architects and was appointed to the Governor's Select Committee on Architecture to promote the highest standards of design for public buildings in Michigan. He retired from MSU in 1989 after a long and distinguished career.
He was preceded in death by his first wife, Dolores Wardell Siefert. He is survived by his second wife, Maxine Schlott Siefert; his daughters from his first marriage, Kristine (Kalyan Dutta), Kathleen Holland, Karen (Harry Jacobson), and Klaudia Brace (Paul); three grandchildren, Dolores Wright (Robin), Noah Brace, Reed Brace and two great-grandchildren, Robert Wright and Claire Wright. He is also survived by stepchildren Michael Schlott (Cherie), Mark Schlott (Dede), Patricia Hughes (Gary), and Rebecca Jones, and their children and grandchildren.
No services will be held. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Robert L. and Maxine S. Siefert Libraries Endowment at Michigan State University. On line condolences may be made at:www.greastlansing.com